Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics

November 09, 2009
I recently came across an amazing lagrangian simulation method for hydrodynamics - Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH). I came across this method while researching for my course project on "Numerical methods for the giant impact hypothesis for formation of the Moon" - exciting project. I realized that the most dominant method for numerical simulations in the field is SPH and the more I started reading about it, the more I started liking it. First of all it is a lagrangian method so all the amazing things that come with is are available - track particle histories, tract shock wave fronts, discontinuities, not having to handle the advective term in the NS equations. Furthermore, it is a mesh-free lagrangian method, which is great - it saves a lot of computational time! Due to shortage of time I will not go about detailing much of SPH here, so what I will do is for the interested reader, I will leave references from where they can learn more about the topic.

Online material:
A great compilation of amazing link by Paul Nylander
Brian Schlatter's master's project

Books:
Smoothed particle hydrodynamics: a meshfree particle method (comes with a sample SPH code at the back of the book!)

Papers:
Smoothed particle hydrodynamics: some recent improvements and applications, P Randles, L Libersky, Computer methods in Applied mechanics and engineering, 139 (1996) 375-408

Modeling Low Reynolds Number Incompressible Flows Using SPH, Joseph P Morris, Patrick J Fox, Yi Zhu, Jounal of Computational Physics, 136 (1997) 214-226

0 comments:

Post a Comment